Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref 5711/1A: What Makes It an Iconic Watch?

by Paresh Bramhane
Patek Philippe Nautilus

The Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref 5711/1A was introduced in 2006 to commemorate the Nautilus’ 30th anniversary. It was an instant hit with collectors and, as you can see, has been steadily increasing in value. The 40mm porthole-shaped case is larger than the original. The embossed black blue or silvery-white dial is framed by an octagonal-shaped bezel. The baton-shaped hour markers are made of white gold and have a luminescent coating. The central hour and minute hands are the same. At 3 o’clock, the date appears in a window.

From an aesthetic standpoint, this is about as straightforward as a three-hander with date gets. Even though there isn’t much going on on the dial, it’s quite appealing. The manufacture Caliber 324 SC inside is revealed by a sapphire caseback on the reverse. The movement has a 45-hour power reserve and a central rotor made of 21K gold and it bears the Patek Philippe seal. You now have a better understanding of the watch and its history. Here are the reasons for the success of the Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref 5711/1A.

Quality

The first one should go without saying. The Patek Philippe brand is synonymous with high quality both in terms of design and craftsmanship. You are aware that experts have spent months, if not years, crafting your watch. The quality control standards are outstanding. At the Patek Philippe archives, each watch has a searchable ‘extract’. Almost no other watch company can match that level of assurance. Significance

The Patek Nautilus Ref 5711/1A is the brand’s second luxury sports watch, a sports watch that spawned an entire line. One that has since become the brand’s most popular. This will always be a significant watch, not only for the brand but also for the history of watchmaking. Because of the low annual production numbers, it will continue to grow in importance.

Versatility

Many people would agree that if you could only own one watch, it would be the Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref 5711/1A. This is a watch that can be worn for any occasion. Dress it up with a suit and tie, dress it down with a polo, or wear it to the beach with board shorts. The case is water-resistant to 120 meters, and the black-blue dial looks great in the water. The Nautilus began as a luxury sports watch, but it has evolved into a recognizable icon. It is adored by celebrities, athletes, and successful businessmen and women.

Prestige

It’s difficult to overestimate the allure of the Patek Philippe brand. It is widely regarded as the most prestigious luxury watch brand in the world. It is, without a doubt, one of the most prestigious luxury brands of all time. The name foretells of good taste. It denotes the owner’s refinement and sophistication. It’s understated at the same time. A Rolex on the wrist is instantly recognizable. Only the most knowledgeable will be able to identify a Patek Philippe from across the room. (Or, at least, it was before the advent of social media.)

  Scarcity

Patek Philippe’s precise annual production numbers are a guarded secret. Estimates put them at between 50,000 – 70,000 watches. Of that, about 75 percent have mechanical movements (the remaining 25 percent are quartz). Production spans some 246 different models. That means that no single model is likely made in great quantities. As a result, there is a real sense of scarcity, especially for well-known models such as the Nautilus Ref 5711/1A. You will never find one waiting for you to try on at your local AD in today’s market. Of course, this is a deliberate tactic by Patek Philippe, one that has aided in the preservation of the brand’s intrinsic value for over a century.

Investment Value

Many collectors regard investment or resale value as a dirty word. After all, you should buy a watch because you want to wear it. Not because it might increase in value. The reality, however, is quite different. Only two luxury watch brands consistently demonstrate a consistent ability to maintain their value. We’ve all heard of Rolex and Patek Philippe. The Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref 5711/1A, which is currently trading at three times its retail value, is proof of this. The Rolex GMT-Master II Pepsi is the same. That is just one of many examples. This is not the primary reason most people purchase a Nautilus, but it is certainly a factor.

Takeaway

The Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref 5711/1A is the most sought-after steel luxury sports watch in the world. The Nautilus’s aesthetic has not changed in over 40 years. The Nautilus has too much history with the brand to be forgotten. It is therefore not an exaggeration to call the Patek Philippe Nautilus a design icon. Its significant heritage plays a role in fueling its modern-day desirability. But there’s a lot more to this film than a compelling backstory.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment