Academic writing is one of the compulsory demands in every school, college, and university. It helps to control the flow of thoughts, reveals analytical, writing, problem-solving, and other skills of students. Young people have to write all types of essays, case studies, lab reports, book reviews, and other academic papers. Each has a different purpose and may confuse the writer. Students try various methods to enhance their academic writing skills, and personal experience may help.
At times, the tasks are overly complex, and youngsters look for academic writing help provided by professional services similar to CustomWritings essay writing company. It also belongs to personal experience to a certain extent. This informative blog post will highlight the role of personal experience in academic writing.
The Value of Personal Experience
Let’s start with the understanding of the importance of personal experience in writing. It may not seem related to your academics, but it’s not so. We write most of the academic papers by using personal experiences. It is related to free topics. We do not mean scientifically-based projects similar to dissertations or research papers. We mean various types of essays when a writer is allowed to introduce things from his/her life.
Consequently, this experience helps to connect your writing to your readers. They are human and want to read real stories. When you describe the feelings, emotions, events that really happened to you, the story becomes realistic.
A Generator of Ideas
Personal experience may become your biggest source of ideas to cover. You can describe some events and emotions in certain pieces of writing. These may be narrations, compare and contrast essays, and so on. They will help to develop an interesting story, and you will avoid writer’s block. Here are a few good ideas you can use thanks to your personal experience:
- My greatest fears.
- A person who has changed my life.
- How my education can help me in the future.
- The most important things in my life.
- Friendship and its importance for me.
- Why communication with all types of people is important.
- Things that make me happy.
- Importance of education for my future career.
- The way I handle challenges.
- The top-5 things that make me better.
You can freely use these and similar concepts. As you can see, they are taken from real-life situations. You gain experience in various aspects of human life and can use it in your academic writing. If your essay allows using personal experience, you’ll be able to make your texts true to life, realistic, readable, and captivating.
A Creativity Booster
Another vital benefit of personal experience in academic writing is an improvement of your creative skills. All academic papers are expected to be creative. Otherwise, students lose many vital grades. As you gain more experience in life, it also adds to your learning.
Students receive a chance to take a step back from the standard writing guides. They can make their texts more vivid because they can depict their personal experiences on paper. Such texts are livelier and pleasant to the eye.
How to Reinforce Your Writing Skills
At times, students have brilliant ideas to cover, but they cannot reveal them properly on paper. Fortunately, this issue can be handled successfully. We have several great tips that will enhance your academic writing skills to make stories appealing and readable. They are as follows:
- Expand your vocabulary. First, work out your active vocabulary. If you want to be able to clearly describe everything that happens to you and connect it to the topic, new words are vital. Try to learn at least 5 new words daily.
- Practice regularly. You should write every day for a couple of hours or more. Regular practice helps to improve writing skills and make your texts look original, readable, and appealing to the eye of readers.
- Sharpen your grammar. The clarity and readability of every text depend on grammar. Therefore, polish your grammar skills, spelling, and punctuation every day.
- Avoid repetitions. It is necessary to use new words for the description of the same events. Don’t repeat the same concept with the exact words if you have to return to it. Use other phrases from your active vocabulary.
- Follow the structure. You should follow the typical structure of every standard essay. The major components are the introduction, main plot, and conclusion. Each section has a clear goal, and you should always follow it!
Tips to Use Personal Experience
People are not always able to remember all the things that happen to them in detail. Human life is full of various events, and some of them may escape your memory. In the meanwhile, those events may potentially benefit your academic writing. Therefore, we recommend following the next tips:
- Have a diary. You should start a diary and become an active notetaker. Of course, we do not mean to register all the events. However, the ones that step out of the crowd deserve to get noted. Thus, you won’t forget about something important.
- Interpret your feelings. It’s not always easy to remember the feelings and emotions we felt when a certain event happens. Try to analyze and interpret them. It will help to use this data in writing more effectively.
- Systematize it. You should also make your notes systematic. Otherwise, you risk getting lost in them. Divide your experiences into certain categories after dates, events, people, emotions, importance, and so on. This system helps to quickly find the required memory.
As you can see, personal experience is vital in writing successful academic papers. It fulfills the next functions:
- Make texts realistic;
- Enhances readability;
- Helps students to generate ideas;
- Boosts creativity;
Keep in mind the facts given in our article. They can help you to use your personal experience more effectively and thus improve your skills in academic writing. They will help to handle multiple writing challenges writing papers of the best quality.